How to open a blocked account - for foreign students
What is a blocked account?
A blocked account is a special bank account for foreign students in Germany, to which the amount required to cover their living expenses must be paid for one year. It serves as proof of financial means when applying for a student visa for.
The blocked account is one of the most important requirements for applying for:
- Student visa
- Language visa
- A visa for job seekers with which you can stay in Germany for six months and look for a job.
NOTE: From January 1, 2020, the expected annual standard requirement, which must be transferred to the blocked account when applying for a visa, will increase to 10,236 euros . This increased amount applies to all visa applications submitted after September 1, 2019.
How to open a blocked account with Fintiba:
The entire process of opening your blocked account at Fintiba can be completed online in the Fintiba WebApp. You will be guided through the process step by step and the account will be opened in your name. You only need a valid passport to open your blocked account. The passport does not have to be certified by the embassy.
Here are the steps on how to open the blocked account:
- Open a blocked account on the Fintiba website. You will find detailed information on how to open your account and a free consultation if you have any further questions.
- Fill out the application form. Once you have started the process, you will be directed to an online application form. Here you need to enter your personal details and verify your identity (scan your valid passport). As soon as the verification process is completed, your blocked account will be opened. This takes a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Deposit money. After your account with Fintiba has been opened, you will need to deposit the required amount of money into your account. Note that international transfers usually take up to 5 days and in some cases can take longer, depending on your bank.
- You will receive a confirmation email. As soon as the amount has been transferred, Fintiba will automatically send you an email to confirm that your deposit has been accepted and that your blocked account is now active.
- Make an appointment at the German Embassy. As soon as you have received this email, make an appointment at the German Embassy. Print out the confirmation email for your blocked account, as you will need it at the embassy to prove your financial resources. That's it! As soon as you have opened your blocked account, you have fulfilled one of the most important requirements to receive your student visa.
- Access to your account. As soon as you have arrived in Germany, you have to open a current account at a bank of your choice, to which your monthly payment will be transferred from your blocked account by Fintiba. Important! Don't forget to complete the final steps in your Fintiba account and upload all the necessary documents to get access to your funds.